Las Vegas is a fantastic place to experience a comedy show. You will have your pick of some of the biggest names. Comedy is taken seriously in Las Vegas and comedy shows are a major attraction. Some of the biggest names in comedy have performed in Las Vegas, including Howie Mandel and Robin Williams. This article will offer tips for selecting a show and what to expect while you’re there.
Types of Comedy Shows in Las Vegas
There are a few different types of comedy shows in Las Vegas to choose from. For example, there are some headlining comedians who have shows on an on-going basis in Las Vegas, such as Rita Rudner and Carrot Top.
Carrot Top has a long-standing show at the Luxor Hotel featuring his brand of prop-based comedy. George Wallace’s show at the Flamingo Hotel has been around for more than five years now and is popular with Las Vegas visitors. Louie Anderson also has a show at the Palace Station hotel. It is family friendly and puts a humorous slant on everyday issues.
There are also a few headlining comedians, like Bill Mayer and Jerry Seinfeld, who only perform a limited number of shows per year at various venues.
Then, there are the shows at Las Vegas comedy clubs. These usually showcase up-and-coming comedians. These clubs, such as the Comedy Stop at Tropicana and the Riviera Comedy Club, often feature multiple performances per night. The Riviera Comedy Club is a major venue and was established in 1987. This small club only holds 350 people, which makes for a great intimate setting where no one can hide from the comedian’s playful digs. The Riviera has hosted a number of well-known names in comedy including Larry Reeb, Daniel Dugar, John Bizarre, Paul Bond, Willie Farrell and Tom Simmons.
Las Vegas also has a number of improv comedy shows. For example, Wayne Brady performs regularly at the Venetian and many improv shows are featured at the Second City (located at the Flamingo) as well.
On any given night in Sin City, you will have dozens of comedy shows to choose from, ranging from big names to up-and-coming comics. With such a diverse range, it won’t take you long to find something to tickle your funny bone.
Tips for Seeing Comedy Shows in Las Vegas
There are so many comedy shows in Las Vegas that the experience of visiting one can overwhelm a first-time visitor. Here are a few tips to keep in mind if you plan to see a comedy show in Vegas:
- When booking your tickets, check to see whether or not you have assigned seating. If the tickets are marked “General Admission,” that means seats will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. When you have “General Admission” tickets, you want to get to the venue at least a half-hour before the show starts so you don’t end up with the worst seats.
- Often the venue will be in the back of a casino. Give yourself extra time to get across the casino to the venue.
- Generally sitting close to the stage is where you will get the best view. However, keep in mind making jokes about audience members is a part of some routines. If you are shy and don’t want a comedian to single you out, sit away from the stage where they can’t see you so well.
- Although Las Vegas is hot, many of the venues are heavily air-conditioned. You might want to bring a sweater or a jacket.
- Keep in mind some of the shows take place in more upscale lounges. These usually require a dress code, so make sure you are dressed appropriately.
Have fun and enjoy the brilliant comedy of Las Vegas!