When it comes to traveling there is a countless number of online communities you can choose from to get information about where your adventure is going to take you. I’ve waded through hundreds of these online communities to compile this list of the top ten travel social networking sites that any traveler should plan on using before starting their next adventure.
Couch Surfing couchsurfing.com: Couch Surfing is a very well known website that spans more than 230 countries consisting of millions of members that are there to offer you a place to stay during your travels. Couch Surfing is a firm believer in the fact that there are good people everywhere that always want to help out a fellow traveler cushion their adventure by offering tips, a helping hand, and a place to stay while they are traveling.
- Where are you now? wayn.com: Where are you now? is the fastest growing online travel community. They have grown from 45,000 members in March 2005 to more than 19 million members today. They have a unique algorithm that is meant to connect you to other travelers with the same tastes that you have.
- Trip Colony tripcolony.com: Trip Colony has a very firm belief that having a contact in the city or place you are going to be traveling to can completely make a vacation so much easier than doing it alone. As an online travel community they only allow your travel information to be shared with people that you choose to share it with. This eliminates any bad feelings that you could have once your travels have started.
- Europe A La Carte europealacarte.co.uk: Europe A La Carte is an interesting website created by Karen Bryan with the hopes that her experiences as well as others will help even the most inexperienced traveler find their way to the hidden gems as well as some of the most popular attractions in Europe. From wine tastings and paintings to see Europe A La Carte is a must see website if you plan on traveling to Europe.
- Exploroo exploroo.com: Exploroo is an online travelers community that combines travelers as well as travel agents information and experiences so you can get the most out of your next adventure. You can book hotels as well as tours for the days you will be staying in certain locations directly through the website.
- Travelers for Travelers travelersfortravelers.com: Travelers for Travelers is an online community of travelers designed for each member to be able to share their experiences for free. It is also an online portal where travelers offer other travelers a place to stay, information, as well as transportation when needed for their adventures.
- Travellers Point travellerspoint.com: Travellers Point is an online community of travelers spanning every country around the world. It has more than 30,000 blogs sharing over 175,000 unique travel stories coupled with 1.4 million photos.
- Every Trail everytrail.com: Every Trail is a way for users to actively add and update which route they have taken on various trails across the globe and share them with other users.
- Virtual Tourist virtualtourist.com: Virtual Tourist is an online portal where travelers as well as locals of a certain area can share tips, advice, and experiences with new coming tourists. They are unique in the sense that they have advice from locals of the area you are going to be traveling to as well as others that have already been through that area.
- Driftr drifter.com: Driftr offers an emailing list that is made up of helpful tips when it comes to traveling coupled with other users experiences from the same trip you are planning to take.